Designing the kitchen is one of the most important things you will do in your home. A lot of time is spent in the kitchen so you will want to make sure that you like the area.
Families gather in the kitchen, and they spend a lot of time in there, even if they are not cooking or having a party. So, you will want to make sure that it is the room that you are most proud of. You do not want the in-laws or your friends commenting on the mistakes you made, behind your back.
Read on to make sure you never make any mistakes when you are choosing your kitchen design ever again.
1. Take notice of the space that you have and make sure you do not overfill certain areas. You will want to make sure that the oven, fridge and sink all have unrestricted access since these are the areas that you will be in the most. Do not plan more than you need. If your kitchen area is long, then you will not be able to have a kitchen island no matter how much you may want one.
2. Make the kitchen fit in with the rest of the house. If your house has a contemporary design, you do not want to be choosing an old country kitchen design because it will look out of place. Saying that, you do not want the kitchen to look too clinical, which can sometimes happen with contemporary kitchens. Make it look homey as well, so that everyone feels safe there.
3. Choose a kitchen top that will last a long time. Most people choose granite kitchen tops because they will last a lifetime, they are easy to clean and they are sanitary. Furthermore, no two slabs are the same, so the slab that you choose will be personal to you. No one else in the world will have the same one. Granite may be a little bit more expensive than other materials, but it will save you money in the long run because you will never have to buy another kitchen worktop again.
4. Choose the best lighting because it will make the kitchen look bigger than it is. You will want lights where you are working so make sure that you have lights built underneath the cupboards so that they do not cause a shadow. Most people choose spot lights for their ceiling but if you have an island, you will want them to have lights that hang down from the ceiling for that bit extra light. People usually want to sit at the island to read the paper and have their breakfast, so having extra light is a bonus.
5. Spacing – You need to make use of the space you have for storage. Think about the type of cupboards that you want. If your kitchen is wide, you have the option to have deeper cupboards. If the space that you have is thin and long, then have longer cupboards. Have hooks underneath the cupboards so that you can hang cups there instead of using one of your cupboards for them. You could also hang your pans over a kitchen island or have storage underneath the island, but if you only have a thin kitchen, you might not have the space for an island anyway. Also, think about use the space above the fridge and freezer. Do not leave any space between the tops of cupboards and the ceiling, every area should be used but there is a fine line between using the space and making the kitchen look crammed so a good kitchen designer will know how to do this.